My first book, a collection of short stories called Bats or Swallows, was published in Fall 2010 by Invisible Publishing. It was shortlisted for both the Danuta Gleed Award and the ReLit.
Here are things that people who aren’t related to me have said about the book:
“The stories in Teri Vlassopoulos’s Bats or Swallows are told with grace, wit and a bold and original eye for detail. A debut collection full of delights.” – Jury comments on the finalists for the 2010 Danuta Gleed Literary Award
“Bats or Swallows manages to evoke not just the uncertainty and fear of young adulthood, but its magic and inexplicable excitement as well.” – Quill & Quire
“What makes these topics worth revisiting is Vlassopoulos’s knack for comedic detail.” – Montreal Gazette
“There’s a mesmeric quality to Vlassopoulos’s storytelling. Her writing is warm, uncomplicated, and beguilingly intimate. She produces crisp sentences that are economical in words and generous in personality.” – Rover Arts
“It’s easy to see how Vlassopoulos has evolved from years of zine making and why she has come to fiction so seamlessly…Like zines, Vlassopoulos strings together a variety of images and narratives, cutting them rough around the edges but leaving a patchwork of characters with dark corners. It’s another one of Invisible Publishing’s emerging authors who so strongly capture the trends and hopes of unconventional fiction.” – Broken Pencil
- Rover Arts
- Montreal Review of Books
- “The Write Touch“, CA Magazine
- Women’s Post
- Quill & Quire (also reprinted at CBC Books)
- Atlantic Books Canada
- Fresh Fish and Foolishness
- Entries I’ve written about the book on this site
- The story “Baby Teeth” reprinted at Joyland.ca and at The Center for Fiction
- Interview on Open Book Toronto
- “From Book to Look” at Red Glasses Blog
- “My Big Greek Cooking Lesson” by Darcie Friesen Hossack
- On the radio! Jenner & I are interviewed about our books, and I read the beginning of the story “Bats or Swallows”. It starts at the 29 minute mark, so skip ahead: https://secure.ckut.ca//64/20101102.12.00-13.00.mp3
- Photos of book related stuff on my Flickr.
- CBC Books, talking about songs that inspire me
HOW TO BUY A COPY
Invisible/Kobo held a contest where a select group of people won Gelaskins for their ereaders based on the cover of Bats or Swallows. They’re pretty.
Bricks & Mortar
If possible, I highly recommend buying the book from your local, independent bookstore. If they don’t have it in stock, request it and they can order it for you. Chain retailers like Chapters, Coles, etc. also carry Invisible titles, but if they don’t have it in stock, they can order it in to the store for you. You can also ask your local library to buy a copy of the book.