Okay, so I’m back in Montreal. It’s colder than I expected it would be and I start working again on Monday, and most of our things are unpacked and I guess it’s true, I’ve officially returned. The good thing is that in addition to being back in the same country as my friends and family, and being less than a five minute walk away from Fairmount bagels and many, many brunch places, I am also really, really excited about my book, which is coming out really, really soon. And that picture above? It’s the cover of the book.
I love the cover, and one of the things I was looking forward to about working with Invisible is that they make beautiful books with striking cover designs (my favourites include Stacey May Fowles “Fear of Fighting” and Jeff Miller’s Ghost Pine anthology). There were a few different versions of the book cover kicking around, and if you’ve seen the book listed anywhere online (like here on Amazon), you’ll see the original draft cover, which I thought was also great (especially since I love the aesthetic of woodcuts), but I think this cover fits best with the overall mood of the book, and I’m glad it was chosen as the final version. Megan Fildes, the art director, came up with all of the ideas; I think she’s brilliant. I like the cover it for its simplicity, the bright but watery colours and the hand drawn letters. And my name is spelled correctly. (I have a hunch that my name will be spelled wrong 50% of the time my book is mentioned. Not only is my first name sneakily tricky, but 12-letter Greek last names also have a high frequency of misspells. I’m pretty much used to it by now.)
We’re sorting out details for book launches, but there a few things to tell you about:
- Here’s the official page for the book on the Invisible site.
- I will be reading at Canzine in Toronto on Sunday October 24, 2010.
- The other fall 2010 release by Invisible is called Rememberer, and it’s this fun planner/art book. I have a new short story in that as well (one that I wrote this summer in Greece). Details are here (and hello awesome cover design!).
- We’re discussing early Novemberish for a launch in Toronto and probably around the same kind of timing in Montreal. I’ll get back to you on that. And I will definitely be reading at other cities over the next few months, but I’ll keep you posted on everything.
- Invisible will have a table at Word on the Street in Toronto this week, and rumor has it that copies of the new books arrived on Wednesday, so there might actually be a few kicking around Toronto?
- I’m on Goodreads! Add me as a friend or add my book to your bookshelf. (I feel weirdly OCD about Goodreads – do I add every single book I’ve ever read? What if I leave out something really important? I’m also kind of icked out about rating books, which I know is weird of me. Right now I’m just adding books I’ve read since this summer.) (I’m overthinking this, aren’t I?)
That’s it for now, but expect more soon. Thanks, friends.